Normansfield Theatre has just launched a fundraising lighting appeal to raise £19,000 towards the cost of upgrading all of our stage and front of stage lighting.
This will make a big difference to the quality of lighting we can provide as well as being more efficient and environmentally friendly to run. To donate to the fund, you can do it in the following ways:
- Online at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/Normansfield
- By cheque made payable to Down’s Syndrome Association – please write Theatre Appeal on the back of the cheque and post it to our national office in Teddington TW11 9PS
- By BACS payment to sort code 160032 Account No 10025447 – Account Name: Down’s Syndrome Association. Reference: Theatre appeal
- Call us Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0333 1212 300 and pay by debit/credit card
The Paper Moon Theatre Company perform an Old Time Music Hall at Normansfield Theatre Teddington.
Normansfield Theatre is a Grade II* Listed Theatre which was built originally as an entertainment hall in 1877 and completed in 1879. The theatre is a rare example of a private Victorian Theatre containing original painted scenery and other ornate fixtures and fittings (stored).
Our thanks go to the Teddington Society for their kind donation of £1000 towards further preservation work of our Marianne North panels which line the stage riser. This money was raised by the Pram Race at the June Teddington Summer Fair. The Teddington Society nominated the Langdon Down Centre as one of 3 local charities.
This section of the hospital was called the theatre wing and was part of the former home of Dr John Langdon Down. The building itself was refurbished and handed over to the Langdon Down Centre Trust as part of a Section 106 planning agreement by Developers Laing Homes in October 2003.
The remit of the Langdon Down Centre Trust was to promote, preserve and manage this beautiful Grade II* listed building, and the historical archive material of Dr. Langdon Down.
Dr John Langdon Down was a Victorian physician who established Normansfield in 1868 as a family home and a place where people with learning disabilities could be cared for and educated at a time when most of them would have been condemned to life in an asylum. This remarkable man built this beautiful theatre (entertainment hall) and encouraged his patients/students to learn music and drama as part of their education. He provided work experience in woodwork and farming in a way that was probably more advanced than some of the provision available today. Some of his students had the condition that now bears his name and he is known internationally as the ‘Father of Down’s syndrome’.
In April 2010 the Langdon Down Centre Trust and the Down’s Syndrome Association merged. The Down’s Syndrome Association now manages the building and is continuing to promote and preserve this beautiful building.
In 2011 the Langdon Down Museum of Learning Disability was established to contribute to the public understanding of the work of Dr John Langdon Down at Normansfield and Earlswood where he was Medical Superintendent before moving to Normansfield. Normansfield Theatre will be open to the public along with the museum’s opening in early 2012.